Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Layover in DC....

Well, today is the day I started my trip to Saudi Arabia - I left Portland, OR (cold and wet) for Dulles (cold and gloomy) for an overnight stop. Five hours on a plane is long, but I have 12+ hours to go until I get to Riyadh - at least it's on a 747, not a C-141 crossing the Pacific (I've done that four times).

This is the second time I've flown First Class on United (the first time was last month for my screening with Northrup/Grumman). Flying on a Airbus 319 both times, the seats are nice, but not a lot of legroom...meals are OK - they try to make the meals a gourmet experience...not real impressed.

I'm gonna put in a plug for Candlewood Suites (the hotel I've stayed at both times). If you get a chance to stay at one, please do so. Staff at the hotel in Fairfax are great, greeted me with hot cookies (you could smell them baking when you walked in) and the rooms have kitchenettes. They have a pantry area that is done on an honor system...mostly 7/11 or QuickMart type stuff. You may pay a little more for the stay, but it seems to be worth it.

I'll post more after I get to Riyadh...need to go find something to eat...

No comments: